Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Shark Night

An accidental Creature-feature on a Tuesday, but here is a short review.


When this movie first came out, I had no interest in seeing it. However, I recently read an article about how they made fully functional animatronic sharks for part of the Hammerhead and Great White scenes, and thought it may have potential after all. But I was sorely disappointed.

I have been interested in sharks for a large part of my life and feel I have a comprehensive knowledge of sharks. I appreciate the use of many different species of sharks in the film, and I give credit to the graphic designers and writers for taking time to learn the different characteristics and life histories of some of those species represented in the film. However, the purported tiger shark, is in fact designed after a Sand Tiger or Gray Nurse shark (Carcharias taurus). I feel that is unacceptable when all of the others were fairly well designed and reported as those species.

Tiger Shark (Galeocerdo cuvier)
Movie still of "Tiger Shark" getting ready to attack
Movie still of closeup of "Tiger Shark" face

Sand Tiger or Gray Nurse Shark (Carcharias taurus)

I rest my case. 

Otherwise, the plot was a little fuddled. Some college kids go to a lake in the Bayou. Run into some local hicks. Have some fun on the water until people start getting attacked and dying. Turns out the hicks make movies for their "hardcore" shark week viewers because they can and they hate college kids in their town. But who honestly thinks two or three men would be able to capture and keep an adult Great White shark in a rusted cage, when actual scientists can't even keep these sharks in an aquarium for more than a few months of its juvenile life? I speak of the research efforts of the Monterey Bay Aquarium, of which you can view at this link. The researchers were able to display six juvenile Great White sharks in the largest exhibit at the aquarium which is a 1,200,000 gallon tank, not a 10x10 metal cage. That is why I give this movie 1-star out of 5. I do not forgive easily for such mistakes; it's the biologist in me. Otherwise the movie was fair for the Creature-feature genre and maybe I would have liked it more if I had gotten to watch it in 3D. If you wish to watch it, I suggest skipping the drivel at the beginning, till there is some shark action, and then watching the rest on mute. Also skip the other dialogue crap in the middle and the scene with the "tiger shark."


I would write more, but I am trying to narrow down the film for tonight, as well as do other tasks for the day. So that is it for now, please return this evening or tomorrow for the next installment.


My rating:
I am trying to work out the kinks and find a good way to include the stars for rating, so bear with me while I work out the kinks. Maybe I will make it pumpkins or something instead, opinions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment