Thursday, October 3, 2013

Rubber

I know what you are thinking from the title, but no, it is not a movie about a possessed condom. Wait, there is a movie called Killer Condom, which is that exact thing. But this movie is about a killer tire, named Robert.

It has been on my list since last year's fest and I figured it was high time to give it a watch. Directed by French electronic musician, Quentin Dupieux, the film opens with an interesting monologue to the audience about the idea of "no reason," in film and life.
In the Steven Spielberg movie 'E.T.,' why is the alien brown? No reason. [...] In the excellent 'Chainsaw Massacre' by Tobe Hooper, why don't we ever see the characters go to the bathroom? Or wash their hands like people do in real life? Absolutely no reason. Worse, in 'The Pianist' by Polanski, how come this guy has to hide and live like a bum when he plays the piano so well? Once again the answer is no reason. I could go on for hours with more examples. The list is endless. You probably never gave it a thought, but all great films, without exception, contain an important element of no reason. And you know why? Because life itself is filled with no reason.  
I didn't care too much for some of it, but it introduces the entire film which is full of "no reason"s. I actually found myself asking that throughout the movie. Why did that man have a glass of water and pour it out when he was finished? "No reason." Why does the tire have to sleep at night? "No reason." Hell, why is there even a living tire that blows things up with its mind in the first place? "No reason." It makes it, in a way, more of a film about artistic expression, which I quite enjoyed and feel is sometimes lacking in the horror genre. Especially when it comes to the big name Hollywood films that I feel this is kind of poking fun at (the ending!). While we are watching the film, there is also a group of people watching it with binoculars in the desert. Gives a new twist on camera point of view. Especially when the lens is, in turn, focused on the group and the trials they go through while watching the film. Somewhat thought provoking and reflective as a member of the audience myself. Of course though, the best part is when Robert starts blowing things up with his "mind," which happens fairly quickly in the film.
A victim of Robert's powerful psychic abilities
At first, he selects his victims carefully, but soon goes on a rampage across the Mojave when he witnesses his tire brethren being burned in a pit. I guess, so as not to give away too many more spoilers, I will let you decide if you want to see it for yourself. I do highly recommend it, because it is bizarre and interesting and has just enough of the graphic head explosions you could hope for.

Robert discovering his fallen brethren

My rating:


I am trying skulls for stars now, let me know what you think. I think I will change it up every few days or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment