Wednesday, October 2, 2013

It's Alive!


Welcome ladies and gents. Boys and ghouls. Psychos and monsters. I present to you the...well...now fourth annual Horror-tober fest. Blogivized for your reading pleasure.

I have always enjoyed the Fall months, but none as much as October (sorry September, but the truth is out.) I love the falling of the leaves, the crisp night air, and the chills and frights! Of course October is also about Halloween! Halloween is my favorite holiday and I have been watching and enjoying horror movies for a long time. About four years ago, I came to the realization (with the plethora of movies I could obtain from Netflix and the library) that I could have a month long movie fest, all things horror and Halloween-themed; so, I created Horror-tober fest. Previously unnamed, and undocumented, but what better way to document it and share with my fellow horror-ians, than with a blog! This will also help me improve my writing and I welcome all constructive criticism. If you don't like what I have to say about a movie I watched, I don't care, but you are welcome to share those opinions as well.

This year, I have also made categories for each day. Unfortunately I did this after I had already watched my first movie for the month; but since I make the rules, I can also break them! Now, let's introduce those categories:

Zombday I decided that since zombies have (really, always have been) so popular, they should have their own day. And since they don't really rhyme or alliterate with the other days, they just take over the whole day.

Transcontinental Tuesday This was a hard one to come up with. I wanted a day for Foreign horror movies since they are just as good (and often better) than American, but like zombies, foreign doesn't really fit with any of the days. Hence, transcontinental.

Wacky Wednesday Not all horror movies fit into one genre, and not all are serious. So this one was borne out of a need to fit those odd, so-terrible-they-are-funny, fun and even "childish" movies. A few examples would be; Shaun of the Dead, Hocus Pocus and Troll 2. But none of those will be on this day as I have also created:

Throwback Thursday In which I will watch movies I have previously seen. They may be some of my favorites, as the aforementioned. Or ones I haven't seen in a number of years, even decades, and wish to enjoy again or wonder why I even watched it in the first place.

Creature-Feature Friday For all things monster and creepy-crawly. 'Nough said.

Slasher Saturday Also kind of enough in the title. Slasher's make up a large percentage of the horror genre, and this is a day for them all!

Supernatural Sunday Is almost a little too general, but it was hard to think of something that would fit ghosts, witches, vampires, etc. Anything otherworldly that doesn't necessarily fall into any of the other categories.

So gear up children, for the horror-pocalypse has begun!


No comments:

Post a Comment