Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Horror-tober 3: Army of Darkness


A more comedic (if that is possible) and action-packed movie from The Evil Dead franchise, Army of Darkness follows lead badass Ash into medieval England where he must fight the army of the dead to return to the present.


B-Movie Bingo hosted by Wolf Choir is among some of Hollywood Theatre's recurring special events that I really enjoy. Occurring on the first Tuesday of every month, it is an experience, filled with video pizza, prizes, and more! I haven't been in over a year but when I saw that they were showing Army of Darkness, I had to go. I even mentioned B-Movie Bingo in 2014 for my review of Dead Heat.



If you have not been to B-Movie Bingo, I suggest checking it out. The squares are hilarious action cliches such as, "smashed through window", "beefcake", "crash and burn", "impaled", "rolling head", "deformed villain", "lone wolf attitude", "awesome tuck and roll", and more. And the best of all the "Blank Square!" in the middle of the board. No, the "Blank Square!" is not a free space, it is so much more than that. There are some rules with the "Blank Square!": 1) it has to be something so awesome it deserves a space on the board but there isn't one, 2) it has to be something you will not see in any other movie, and 3) honestly just something really bizarre. Many people really get into it because it's a lot of fun to go and participate. And prizes! PRIZES!



A classic, and turns out a great one for B-Movie Bingo (it was sold out and the first bingo happened within maybe 15 minutes), Army is a machismo romp with laughs, gore galore, and a charm all its own. From cheesy lines and wonderfully cheesy but very practical special effects, this one has a special place in my heart. Evil Dead 2 is still my favorite of the franchise but Army is quite a bit more lighthearted and slapsticky. A few scenes feel like watching some old Three Stooges episodes, with Ash's "mini-mes", the slapping dance with his evil self, and his battle with the rising army of the dead. Army is definitely the most iconic of the Dead franchise, with lines like, "This... is my boomstick!" and "gimme some sugar baby." It is always fun to watch this one, and even more so when enjoying it with fellow fans for a great event. Oh, and we won the third place prize! I've only ever won candy after the main prizes, and never the grand prize, so that was pretty exciting!


I said we were going to win the cat prize, and we did! 

My rating:

Joey's rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment