Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Intruders

Ooooooooo...it's Supernatural Sunday. That was my attempt at a spooky, ghostly voice.



Intruders wasn't my first choice for this evening, but I was unwilling to compromise with my boyfriend and watch another movie on my computer, in my horrible "office chair." So, here it is. Clive Owen stars in this one. And that is about all this movie has going for it. I take that back, it also has Daniel Bruhl. Who knew this cute little German also spoke Spanish? Hooray! Although, he does play a Catholic priest, but not in a creepy way, so I guess that is alright. But I digress. Intruders is about two families in different parts of the world haunted by the same villain with no face, called Hollowface. The movie switches back and forth between both in a way that at times is a little confusing. We're first introduced to the family in Spain. The little boy writes a story about Hollowface, and later is attacked by him in his bedroom. Only to discover it was a dream, or was it? Cut to Clive Owen's family in England. It is almost his daughter's birthday and she discovers a box in a tree with a story about Hollowface. She copies the story and reads it to her class. Her teacher tells her it's good but she needs to expand upon it. As she does, she senses she is not alone.  

Yay, Daniel Bruhl!
Hollowface steals your face!
I don't know if I would call this one "genre bending," as the poster says personally. I found a lot of similar plot points to other films, and the "twist" is a little predictable. Otherwise, it set the mood well. It actually made me jump once - doesn't happen often. And I liked the styling of the "boogey-man" character so to speak. The two different stories both children write have a nice, classic ghost story feel - with a creepy monster man that could haunt anyone's dreams. But it wasn't enough to get a good rating in my book. 

My rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment