Friday, October 4, 2013

Re-Animator

Ah, Throwback Thursdays might prove to be my favorite of the days. I really do enjoy re-watching some of my favorite flicks. Especially those I haven't seen in a very, very long time. I was fairly young, in my mid-teens, when I first saw Re-Animator and I had a recent discussion with a friend about it. So, it is the first to grace the Thursday category of the fest, to my infinite pleasure.

Stuart Gordon adapted the film from an H.P. Lovecraft story, "Herbert West: Re-Animator." Sadly I haven't read the tale (gasp!). So I will make it a point to read it now, and maybe add a little tidbit about how well or not it was adapted later on this month. Although Gordon has made few films in the horror genre, he definitely made an impact with this one. It has become a cult classic and with a little research I discovered, like Evil Dead before it, it has been adapted into a musical. Full of wonderfully done '80s gore and probably the strangest "sex" scene in a horror film, Re-Animator does not disappoint. All of it flows so well, never a dull moment, and the music is quirky and sets the mood well. It also has a delightfully dark sense of humor. But of course, none of it would be as good without Jeffrey Combs as Herbert West, they really could not have cast a better actor in the role.

He is astonishingly believable as the estranged and obsessed scientist. West is so determined and invested in his research, nothing and no one, stands in his way. Not to discredit the story, the directing, and the other actors in the film which are all just as good, but in my humble opinion it is probably Combs' portrayal that makes this film such a cult favorite.

I recommend if you have not seen this film, that you go straight to your local video rental store or Netflix (something!) and spend the 86 minutes of your time to enjoy it. I imagine that Re-Animator will remain a horror/cult classic for many years to come.   

Even though it is one of my favorite films, it does not receive a full 5-skull rating. It gets a humble 4.5, it is good, but not quite top. And in comparison to Gordon's film Dolls, which I give a 4, it is better. However, if it was purely for Jeffrey Combs as Herbert West, it would be a 5.

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment