Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Horror-tober 17: Southbound


Because I missed Supernatural Sunday with the Ghost concert and because I am kind of tired of zombie movies nowadays, I watched Southbound with Joey.

On a desolate stretch of highway, five people find themselves facing horrors and terrors straight out of hell, maybe.

This one actually came to me from a work friend so I figured I'd give it a shot. Another horror anthology for this year, but this one's stories interlock into one overarching story or theme of remorse and guilt. Although each tale had its own kind of horror element, none of them really stuck out to me as thrilling or particularly memorable, except one. The story of the man traveling home on this lone stretch of highway, hits a woman with his car and finds himself in a deserted hospital trying to help her survive while being coached by the 911 operators. This one was the most gruesome, but also the most interesting to me because it felt more real. Not really realistic but something that is particularly terrifying as a possibly real circumstance. It was bizarre and darkly funny and felt like the most cohesive story.


The creatures shown in the beginning and almost throughout the movie were a little confusing. Were they demons from hell? Were they a physical manifestation of guilt? Why do they attack the men? Why are they all tentacle-ally? One of those things where it showed them fleetingly at the very beginning and I liked it but the greater detail shown just made them hokey and mundane instead of scary. Otherwise, most of the stories were dull but had a pretty full offering of horror genres. From Satanic rituals, to home invasion. In that way it was a pretty good nod to the horror anthology.


SPOILERS: One thing with this movie, it seems like it is in loop. The beginning tale is revisited at the end where the film began, but it appears it is only supposed to have happened in one night. Which for some reason bugged me a little, but otherwise a pretty decent anthology.

Joey's rating:


My rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment