Monday, October 24, 2016

Horror-tober 16: No Movie, but Ghost in Concert!

So after watching 4 movies the night before, I did not watch a movie on Sunday the 16th. But for my birthday this year Joey not only got me Opus Eponymus on vinyl by Ghost, a Swedish metal band I am obsessed with, but he got tickets to the concert, which happened this evening.




Every time they have come to Portland so far I have otherwise been engaged and unable to see them. So it was awesome to finally get to see them in concert. Formed in 2008, Ghost is a spectacle to be seen. Sort of a play on the Roman Catholic church, the anonymous lead singer ("the anti-Pope" named Papa Emeritus) wears papal-like robes but with an upside-down cross and makeup disguising his appearance. The rest of the band are also completely anonymous. Called "the Nameless Ghouls" each wears a cherub-like, devil mask with no mouth. Each also represent different symbols or elements, wind, water, earth, fire, and ether. There have actually since been 3 Papas, the one performing now called Papa Emeritus III, like the succession of the pope. I think in the last 10 years or so, I have really gotten into groups that have a "schtick" for lack of a better word, or an overall theme to their music. And Ghost is no stranger to that. Most songs have to do with the devil, antichrist, doomsday, sexuality, and more, all in a way satirizing religion.


The current Papa and ghouls receiving their Grammy this year
The concert can be described as an experience somewhat like if I was attending a Satanic church, I guess, if I did that. The lighting effects were great and the energy in the venue was pretty fantastic.   


No comments:

Post a Comment