Saturday, October 8, 2016

Horror-tober 8: Hush


A "home invasion" horror movie for this Slasher Saturday, but with a twist. Maggie is an author and has recently moved to a seemingly isolated spot in some wilderness to get away from the city to write her latest book. Or at least can be assumed. She also happens to be deaf and mute. Which becomes terrifyingly apparent when a masked man comes to her window after killing her neighbor.

I may have talked in the past about how I feel indifferent towards some of these home invasion horror movies. On one hand, it can be a real fear and some exhibit a sense of terror and hopelessness (Funny Games, Them). On the other hand, some are just poorly executed and mundane (I won't name names). This one sort of falls in-between but gets mad props from me for having a clever premise and unique idea on the trope. I particularly liked that it was filmed in a way where it is as if you are Maggie and there is no sound as you follow her from window to window watching the man outside her house. It was an edge of your seat type of horror/thriller throughout.

I need to watch more horror movies with Skyra, it was a hoot to hear her yelling at the TV. "What are you doing? Just run away. I don't like this. Why doesn't she run away? She's taking forever. He's going to kill her." Love it.

Again, Skyra and I agreed on a rating for this one:


No comments:

Post a Comment