Saturday, October 17, 2015

Horror-tober 17: Curse of Chucky


I know one of my really good friends that is also a horror movie fan (especially of the Child's Play franchise) said he was not thrilled with this one, but I wanted to give it shot nonetheless.

Curse of Chucky is the sixth installment (and I thought maybe final but looking online it looks like a seventh is in the works) of the Child's Play franchise. A woman and her paraplegic daughter, Nica (Fiona Dourif), receive a mysterious package. Turns out the package is an old Chucky doll, and the audience knows it to be a Chucky doll possessed by the spirit of the serial killer, Charles Lee Ray. That night Nica's mother supposedly kills herself, and her overbearing sister and family come to help with the funeral and house. Then Chucky has a whole family to slowly pick off.

This installment is not unlike the others, Chucky basically steals a little girl's innocence by brutally murdering her family and leaving the blame to someone else. I enjoyed that it had the practical effects of the puppets like the original and even subsequent films. There may have been some CGI here and there with the doll, but if there was they did it in a way as to not distract from the actual puppetry. Also some gruesome deaths that stays true to the slasher genre. Of course, Brad Dourif returns as the voice of Chucky but the surprise here was his daughter Fiona as the protagonist. She was really good in it and was a pretty tough character.

One reason I am upset to find out this won't be the final Chucky movie, is because I thought this one tied the whole franchise in really well together. Although the very end was a little hokey for me and I guess does set up for a seventh. Which all I will say is Jennifer Tilly shows up again. I like Tilly in Bride and Seed, but I guess I feel it would have been better if it had just ended differently. Not necessarily a happy ending, but just not with continuing Chucky and Tiffany's killing spree as is implied by the ending scenes. But, it still gets 3 skulls from me for the overall story up until that little bit.

My rating:

Joey's rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment