Monday, October 6, 2014

Night of the Creeps

Finally, it's Zombday! But since there aren't many zombie flicks on my list this year, I decided to go with one that could be classified as "wacky".



This film plays with all sorts of horror genres. It has a bit of the science fiction genre, aliens running around on a ship and accidentally releasing brain eating slugs on Earth. It obviously has comedy horror, as I said before it would have been appropriate for a Wacky Wednesday. It has slasher horror with an ax wielding maniac and zombie horror because the aforementioned brain eating slugs turn the living and dead into zombies with the sole purpose of producing more brain eating slugs. It is sort of an homage to films that have come before it but also in a weird class of its own. It fits into the "80s horror" sub-sub genre. I kind of made that up but I think it is a valid classification since so many horror movies made in the '80s are quite unlike many today. Meaning they mostly have similar subject matter and execution characteristic of the era, maybe it is possible a lot of the "teen screams," "gore horror," and "horror-comedies" came out of this decade? I am just speculating, but I enjoy a lot of movies from this time, in fact many are considered classics (Nightmare on Elm Street), and feel they need to have their own grouping. 

Odd looking alien with a vial of brain eating slugs
Brad, did you do something different with your hair?
Night of the Creeps had some good practical effects and some wonderfully cheesy acting and story-line. I know I have complained about bad acting before (You're Next) but when it is intentional or just so bad that it is funny, then it is more acceptable. It surprises me that I had missed this one for so many years because I quite liked it and it fits with so many of the others that I continue to enjoy. However, it wasn't mind-blowingly good, worth a watch but not more than once. 

My rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment